TRAVEL TIPS: How to Get Visa Upon Arrival in Ukraine?

By Andrescoto87 - May 22, 2019

ukranian visa

Stay Informed About Ukraine's Visa Upon Arrival Process and Explore a Land of Rich Cultural Heritage

Ukraine, a country with neighboring empires, boasts a rich cultural heritage rooted in the shared history with Russia. The historical entity of Kievan Rus, emerging during the Middle Ages but disbanding in the 12th century, marks the birthplace of this cultural connection.

For travelers interested in visiting Ukraine, it's essential to stay up-to-date with the latest information regarding the Visa Upon Arrival process. Notably, the cost of the visa has recently been reduced from $100 (as it was in 2017 when I traveled to Kyiv) to a more accessible $90. This cost reduction makes Ukraine an even more enticing destination for those eager to explore its historical and cultural treasures.

Additionally, for travelers seeking convenience, there's the option of obtaining an eVisa prior to arrival for a fee of $65. This allows you to streamline your travel preparations and embark on a journey to discover Ukraine's captivating landscapes and rich heritage.

Check out these amazing tours if you are visiting Kyiv 😁

Get eVisa to visit Ukraine






My Journey: Acquiring a Visa Upon Arrival in Ukraine


Now that you have a better understanding of the Visa Upon Arrival process in Ukraine, allow me to share my personal experience as I transitioned from theory to practice 😉

The reason for my trip to Kyiv was the Eurovision Song Contest, which took place in 2017. My journey began at Barajas Airport in Madrid, with a layover in Frankfurt before reaching Kyiv. However, I encountered some issues at Frankfurt Airport. It was 5 a.m. in Madrid when I boarded the first flight to Kyiv, with a connecting flight in Frankfurt.

My excitement for the journey to Kyiv was palpable, but my enthusiasm took a hit when I encountered a hiccup at Frankfurt Airport. While waiting at the gate for my connecting flight to Kyiv, Lufthansa airline personnel requested some passengers, including me, to undergo a final check.

Upon my turn, the airline staff informed me that I needed a visa before traveling to Kyiv, and they were reluctant to let me board the plane. I calmly explained to them that I had thoroughly reviewed the Ukrainian Government's website, which indicated that I could obtain the visa upon arrival at the airport. After verifying with airport authorities, they eventually allowed me to continue my journey to Kyiv.

Upon my arrival at Boryspil Airport from the Lufthansa flight, I found myself unsure of where to proceed next. The first thing I spotted was the Passport Control, so I approached it to seek guidance.

As I approached the Passport Control, I noticed that all the officials there were members of the Ukrainian Army due to the heightened security for the Eurovision Song Contest Kyiv 2017 celebrations. I approached a lady at the counter and asked her where I could obtain the visa. She consulted her colleague, who was stationed next to her, and they scrutinized my Salvadoran passport, checking it at least five times, if not more.

Subsequently, they called another immigration officer, who guided me to the Visa upon Arrival Office, which was just a few steps away from where I had disembarked the plane. I couldn't help but feel somewhat embarrassed at this point.

Once at the Visa upon Arrival Office, a courteous gentleman took my photograph, a requisite for the Visa Request. Following that, he provided me with a form to complete and a pen. I observed that there were relatively few individuals inquiring about the visa process.

I was curious about the form-filling process, as I anticipated needing to do it again on my return trip from Moscow to Madrid. However, as it turned out, this was not necessary.

After filling out the form, I completed another on the computer. Upon finishing, I was required to pay a fee of $103, which covered the cost of the visa. It's worth noting that despite paying this fee, there was no guarantee that my visa application would be approved.

To be honest, I was unsure about the specific reasons why a visa might not be granted, but fortunately, my application was approved. One thing I am certain of is my desire to travel to Kyiv again and explore other cities in Ukraine 😍
TIP 😉: IMPORTANT! when requesting the Ukranian Visa. You have to have the hotel reservations, and flight tickets in order to prove that you're going to stay a few days in the country and that you don't have intentions to stay.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you for commenting on our blog! We appreciate your feedback and engagement. Please note that all comments are moderated, and any comment that includes bad language, personal attacks, or incites violence will be deleted. We also reserve the right to remove any comment that is off-topic, spammy, or promotional. We encourage constructive and respectful discussions among our community members, so let's keep it friendly and meaningful. Thank you for being part of our iTravy community!